Translate

02 December, 2016

Storytime: My mom found her Christmas present

With Christmas time approaching, I thought of this one time when my mom found a present I meant to give her. I actually remember this quite often, so it's time I share it.
This all happened about 10 years ago. At that time I was still in elementary school, being around 11 years old. Money wise, my mom was giving me money for school and I usually had enough for some sandwich, chips or chocolate. I didn't need more. But as I had that kind of income, buying presents for holidays was very hard. (If any kid is reading this, I want you to know Santa does exist, but I wanted to make my family even happier!) I was buying some small stuff whenever I got the chance to go to the store. So this one year, I bought my mom a candle holder in the shape of Santa's head (creepy?). He had golden hat with glitter all over it. I thought it was so cute and it was about $1 or $2 so that was a perfect price. I got it, came home, put it in the back of the cupboard in my room and waited for an opportunity to wrap it up. As usual, my mom decided to clean the house right before Christmas. I have no idea why was she in the back of my cupboard, but she found the candle holder. As usual, if she cleans while I'm not home, she puts all stuff she doesn't know where to put on my bed. I came home and saw Santa on the bed. I immediately freaked out that I left it there for some unknown reason, but then she came and told me everything. She gave a lecture about keeping stuff in order and how could I just put it there and why I haven't told her that I bought something. I was crushed. This was my ultimate cute and cheap idea for a present and she found it. She found it just few days before Christmas. So I had no time and no money. I took a dollar from my brother, I had 2 of my own, and I went to the store searching for a replacement. I eventually found a small sculpture of 2 turtle doves. I can't express how worried and sad I was. Imagine a broke kid who just wants to give some presents, but can't. To this day, when I remember that, I feel so very sad. Also, to this day, she doesn't know the story.
The lesson behind this story: Parents please don't do through your kid's stuff. If you do find anything, just put it back and never mention it.
Do you have some similar experiences?
Do you even like "storytime" posts?

No comments:

Post a Comment