Translate

11 March, 2018

Is working out only for fit people?

OK, OK, this title is like "wtf?", but hear me out. To get this out the way, I'm pretty chubby (actually I'm the fattest I've been in years which made me write about this), I'm totally out of shape, I'm also really not flexible at all. Welcome to my world.
I recently decided that I wanna get in shape. To be fair, that's been my New Year resolution for the past 7 years. However, I think I'll have more time now and motivation. We'll see. And now I remembered those 3 times I went to the gym with my friend. He was also like me so I thought I would feel OK with him being there. However, immediately as we stepped into the gym, we got all eyes on us. We weren't regulars, we weren't all dressed up for the gym (like they are on Instagram) and we were completely out of shape and chubby/fat. People there looked either like models or something on steroids (one guy didn't have a neck). So we put our heads up high and went all in. We were pumping, running, lifting... And we were dying, naturally. So we did that for 3 days and then exams came and we didn't have (didn't want to make) time for it.
Then I started working out again and again and again over the time. But I get discouraged pretty soon cause I'm tired immediately, I can't do half of the exercises I want and I, of course, don't see the results after 5 minutes of working out. Surprise, surprise.
I went running each morning one summer and it was basically walk-run combination, but I tried. One day, a couple was running by me and I was walking while heavily breathing and I heard them saying "she won't get far". Being insecure that I am, this really hit me. Really? I'm trying here. Like, I would applaud all people that run, walk or whatever. Because it's hard work even if you're in shape. It's an effort and people should be applauded.
Everywhere I go, everything I try seems like a competition. I get it. If you're approximately on the same level with someone, you can compete. However, if you see me, a beginner here, struggling, dying and catching my breath all the time, it's obvious that I can't compete with you. Than why would you make me feel even worse than I'm already feeling?
Not all people have those thoughts, I know, but the ones I've had the pleasure (read in sarcasm) of seeing near me have proved me otherwise. I don't see many fat/chubby/overweight/out of shape people here working out in public. Ever. Maybe I just don't see them, but it's like we're all in our home, trying to make some step forward first and then make out public announcement. I could be wrong.
Also, all commercials and posters are of people in great shapes. I get it it's marketing and those stuff sell gym memberships or protein bars, but we need to see some progress. We need to see before and after comparison to know it's OK to start small. Everybody that posts anything related on YouTube is already in shape and working out seems so easy. I need someone that will struggle all the way cause it's realistic.
With all this in mind, if you have some blog, YouTube channel or page to recommend, feel free to write in the comments! Also, any workout program is welcomed as well.

Tell me, do you think working out is only for fit people?

See you next Sunday ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment